The quintessential "it" girl for all things beautiful living, Cara joins Duende as our inaugural Guest Curator, sharing with you her favourite grouping of Limited Edition Prints from our gallery. Explore Cara's curated collection of artwork that she feels inherently speaks to her personal style...
1. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR DECOR AESTHETIC, EITHER NOW OR FOR YOUR ‘DREAM SPACE’ STYLE:
I like a clean space that is mostly white and bright with neutrals mixed in, and then little pops of colours or patterns for some fun. I would say I have a modern/boho style - I love natural fabrics like linen and stone and then romantic items like cozy throws and warm rugs.
2. WHAT IMPACT DO YOU THINK ART HAS ON THE VISUAL PROFILE AND VIBE OF A ROOM:
Art instantly changes a space! I don't feel like a space is complete without artwork. It can tell a story - It can move people - It can make a space feel warm and welcoming or moody and interesting or cozy and calm...It has a huge impact and is absolutely necessary to pull a room together.
3. WHAT CORRELATION TO YOU SEE, IF ANY, BETWEEN YOUR FASHION AND DECOR PREFERENCES? WE OFTEN FIND THAT FASHION INFLUENCES DESIGN, AND VICE VERSA... DO YOU SEE THAT CREATIVE FLUIDITY AS RELEVANT IN YOUR OWN PERSONAL STYLE:
I see such a correlation! I am drawn to the same colours when it comes to artwork, decor and fashion - I agree, fashion and design have such an influence on one another, which makes sense as we decorate ourselves with pieces to tell our story or feeling or mood, we do the same to spaces. I love that they are so impactful on one another - It is so cool to be inspired by a space for an outfit or vice versa.
4. WITH YOUR GROWING FAMILY (CONGRATULATIONS!), HAVE YOU SHIFTED YOUR APPROACH TO DECOR TO BLEND WITH YOUR HUSBAND’S STYLE (AND THAT OF YOUR FUTURE NURSERY), OR HAVE YOU FOUND THAT YOU BOTH LEAN TOWARD THE SAME AESTHETIC WHEN IT COMES TO THE HOME:
Thank you! We are very excited.
Well...Since moving in with Zach, my house has become a lot less pink, we can say that! But he and I luckily both tend towards warm tones, clean spaces and impactful artwork, so in that regard I am very lucky. Our space is more neutral now, which perhaps is more inviting, really...and we haven't even started on the nursery colours and artwork! We need to get on that right away, as I know we will be spending a lot of time there and want to create a calm, cozy space for our new little bean to grow up in.
5. WHEN ADDING TO YOUR OWN ART COLLECTION, WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR? DO YOU LIKE TO MIX MEDIUMS OR DO YOU TEND TO STICK MORE STRICTLY TO EITHER PHOTOGRAPHY OR PAINTINGS, ETC:
I tend to enjoy more abstract work - I love mixed mediums and art on canvas, as it just feels so powerful to see the physical strokes the artist made - I do love some photography work as well - Black and white photographs can have such an impact.